Thursday, June 10, 2010

Iron Maiden Concert! First show of U.S. Tour, Dallas, Texas

Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter!

The Iron Maiden concert was AWESOME! I never thought that I would be so close to them, we could have gotten closer, but since it was my daughter's first Heavy Metal show, I figured I would save her from getting crushed by the horde of fat, drunk, wannabe headbangers. Being in the pit was the best choice for "seats", even though it was standing room only, for two hours, I would have been sorely disappointed if I had gotten us actual seats. My only complaint - well, the biggest complaint were the fat, drunk assholes that kept standing in front of us. Hello! Can you not see us standing here? Can you not see this little girl is only 5 feet tall and you are 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide!? But aside from those jerks, we had a really great view - how can you not have a great view when you are only 30-40 feet from the stage!? Unfortunately, the eye-candy was slim to none, there must have been the largest collection of the fattest, ugliest headbanging heifers ever assembled. There was only about 5 girls I saw that got my blood flowing. It was definitely not the best example of a headbangers heaven for females.

I do wish I had brought an actual camera instead of relying just on my phone, the pictures would have come out so much better.


They started out the show with some songs from their latest albums, Factor X, Brave New World and of course Final Frontier and closed the show with Iron Maiden - the staple show ender with Eddie coming out in full force. I must say though, Eddie out on a few pounds - for he was alot heftier than usual. I liked how they changed the backdrop for each song - every one of them an awesome piece of artwork - I wish I could have taken them home. They had some tapestries there for only $20. I used to have one for Somewhere In Time, sure do wish I still had that - man, so many things I lost that I wish I still had. I had pins, patches, shirts, all kinds of shit you just can't get anymore, hell, you could barely get it then! But we had an a really kickass store in town called Bill's and he specialized in rare and hard to get items and he had a buttload of Iron Maiden stuff. I still have most of my posters though, even though they are ripped or drawn on, I still have them. :) Some asshole on eBay is selling old Maiden concert shirts for $100-$900! That is just all kinds of wrong, if you ask me.


I was surprised though that I only saw two people with Iron Maiden Vans, some guy had the Piece Of Mind slip-ons - they were pretty beat up and as we were leaving my daughter pointed out this guy in front of us wearing the Powerslave Hi-8's like mine - but mine were cleaner - of course! LOL It was just weird that out of 12,000 people only 3 of us had Maiden shoes?! I know they don't make them anymore, but they aren't extinct! But at the same time it was cool, because how many people can say they have Maiden Vans? :) I expected alot of compliments or "dude, where did you get those?!", but no body said a word - to my dismay.


It wasn't until the encore that they played some classics, starting out with The Number Of The Beast then Hallowed Be Thy Name and finishing the set off with Running Free, as always. You could tell they were expecting to do an encore - as usual - because when they began to play Beast, the demon goat came rising up from behind the stage. That's the cool thing about Maiden, is that they give an awesome performance for being so fucking old and always give an encore.


Bruce Dickinson was running around the stage, for being nearly 50 years old this guy could run circles around me! Dave, Steve, Adrian, Nikko all kicked ass too. I always forget the third guitarists name, especially since he isn't part of the original lineup, but he been around for 10 years or so, so I should know his name - shame on me, I know.


I got four shirts and damn have prices gone up. When I went to the Somewhere On Tour show in '86 at Reunion Arena, a concert shirt was $20. I sure as shit wish I still had that damn shirt - it ended up with all my other Iron Maiden shirts at an ex-girlfriend's house - oh the dumbass things we do for tail. My daughter got a shirt that had a comic-style version of the Final Frontier graphics, I tried to talk her into getting the "Sexy Beast" shirt, but she wasn't having it. I got a sweatshirt and a t-shirt and another t-shirt for a friend of mine who got me a couple of shirts at the Rush concert a few years back.


So, on a scale of 1-10 -this show was a 100! A must see and not to be missed event!

1 comment:

  1. Did you get to see Nikko or was he hidden behind the drumkit? He should have his own screen going at the shows....

    ReplyDelete